Elkhorn Crest Day 01
SECTION No1 Day 01 Stats & Intro
START – STOP: Haines – Twin LakesMAJOR SUPPORT PROVIDED BY
DISTANCE: 19.9 mi
ELEVATION GAIN: 5001 ft
RIDING TIME: 6:00
TIME AWAKE SPENT IN PURSUIT OF THE TRIP, ROUGHLY: 7:00
POINTS OF INTEREST / OBJECTIVES:
- We set out with the goal of making it to Twin Lakes where we would sleep in the kingdom of mountain goats.
- There are many roads that split off that you’ll have to contend with on your climb. The rule of thumb is to follow the path of most resistance, i.e. just keep going up.
- When you get to the point where the trail meets the road, don’t rush. Based on our experience there is a good chance you’ll run into some pretty interesting characters at the this cross roads. We did.
- The water in Twin Lakes is really silty, meaning your water filter is going to take a beating. Be prepared.
- Also, if you know it is going to freeze overnight be sure to take extra good care of your water filter and properly dry it out.11It’s probably easier to put it inside your sleeping bag. It won’t freeze that way.. We didn’t and our filter cracked and split. Boo-hoo. Fortunately, Tom and Sarah took care of theirs and we were all able to stay hydrated.
- Mountain goats. They’re cute.
- Dog shit. If you take a dog with you up to Twin Lakes, it would be rad if you didn’t let your dog shit in one of the best camping zones where someone can step in it while trying to set up their tent and get it all over their shoes and other various camp gear and then have to spend some time with water bottles and dense bush trying to clean it up.
- Human shit. Well, let’s just hope that it was canine in origin.
CUE SHEET: KML DOWNLOAD
WEATHER: The storm clouds that confronted us on our drive from Idaho were gone. Bye-bye! The same golden autumnal bliss that was offered to us in Sun Valley was once again the only thing on the menu. Mid-60s and no wind, perfect for a long slow climb up to elevation. Did the temperature drop at night? My water bladder froze inside my tent, so yeah it dropped, but that’s okay, you can always just put on all your clothes and sleep with your hands buried non-sensually between your thighs like I did.